I’ve completed the draft artwork for the CD and case. Click on any photo to enlarge it. The concept is largely centered around a medieval/Renaissance feel. The cover starts as classical plainchant notation, also known as neumes. The music is the Sanctus, which I grew up with every Sunday at church. I found a version of it on line but is was very plain, and I wanted to highly ornamented versions of plainchant I had seen other places.
I created the sheet music by hand and brought in a Celtic “S” for the opening letter. It’s honestly not quite as ornate as I would have liked, but I think it will do. The graphic fades into a modern version of the Sanctus, or more appropriately called the “Holy, Holy, Holy” done in Finale.
The inside of the Jewel Case insert has the credits and a series of photos taken during recording, as well as a short message from me. The credits are slightly premature, as I am crediting an instrumentalist that has not yet been recorded. I also have to add the names of the handbell choir and the men’s chorus. I’ve also credited my Mastering Engineer and obviously the project has not yet been mastered.
The photos are of BJ Griffin playing cello, Dena Gaddie playing violin, Will Spicher playing guitar, Dr. John Paulson playing soprano saxophone, and me playing piano, recorder and dulcimer. This one will probably undergo the most change between now and the final due to the missing credits.
The tray card is the part you see when you turn the whole case over and look at the back. The writing on the sides is folded up and is what you see on the spine of the case.
The tray card is closest to my original vision in scope and outcome (the front has the vision but is not exactly what I imagined in execution). It has the woodcuts of the instruments and the modern piano keyboard at the bottom.
There are two “greyed-out” tracks in the track listing. These two tracks are not yet complete and are greyed-out because I’m giving a pre-release version of this CD to my Grandmother at the end of the month for her 90th birthday. Unfortunately one of the incomplete tracks was her request for this project, but it’s just not ready yet (not even close, in fact). That’s also the explanation for why I’ve been working on the artwork even though the project’s not yet done – so I can give a version as a gift.
Finally is the CD artwork itself: I’m embarrassed to admit that as I was finishing the inserts and tray card I realized that I had no idea what I wanted on the CD itself. This is what I came up with and it is consistent with the spirit of the rest of the artwork. It’s subject to change if I am struck by inspiration.
A little techie stuff – everything was done in Photoshop. I was originally planning on doing the background art in Photoshop and then put the actual proofs with text together in InDesign, but I found a reproduction company that I want to use and all they want for the artwork is bitmap images at 300 dpi (plenty high resolution).
Hopefully with the beginning of the school year for the kids I can get back into editing and mixing music in the evenings – this has been a musically unproductive summer.