Well, my involvement in the creation of Moments with Him is officially complete. I’ve spent the last two weeks working with my Mastering Engineer to finalize the tracks. Like any good ME, Dan gave me feedback on the tracks before he spent any time processing them. I went through and tweaked most of them per his comments. I have to confess that my primary problem is over-compression. I still haven’t cracked the compression code – this isn’t the first time I released over-compressed music.
Once I had my master CD in my hands (FedEx’ed overnight) I was able to start uploading everything to Discmakers. Well, almost – I still had one graphic to finish. Everything was done Sunday night and when I saw that the upload would take a while, I turned in.
The next morning there was a problem with the upload. I couldn’t get past the “Place UPC” part of the process on-line. I tried calling Discmakers, but they don’t open until 9:00, so I had to do it from work.
Turns out I had to resubmit one of the graphics that was too big (weighing in at over 1 Gig!). Given that that’s nearly 100 times the size of all the elements of the Photoshop file put together, I have no idea what was going on. Best yet, when I opened the Photoshop file, somehow all the layers had been merged into a single layer! I couldn’t edit anything, much less try and find a more efficient export option. I had spent most of the day Sunday on that file, and re-creation would take all night.
Once I had regained my composure, I searched around on-line for a pdf compression shareware program. I know, but I was desperate. I found one that looked reasonable, downloaded and installed it and ran my 1 gig pdf through it.
Wow! It came out about 10 meg. Dubious, I opened the file, zoomed way in and looked for pixilation, artifacts and other nasties. Nothing – everything looked just as it did in the 1 gig file. I don’t know what the compression routine did, but it worked, and it worked well.
So, long story short, I finally have everything uploaded (it took another two calls to Discmakers today, by the way) and the project is headed for duplication. The on-line submission to Discmakers is really buggy, but in the end it worked. I think I’m still on track for my Palm Sunday release. They advertise a ten-day turnaround, so if it takes all that plus the 2-day shipping I’m outta luck, but there’s still a chance. That’s right, I’m saying there’s a chance.
I do have a plan to spend my time for the next two weeks before release. One of my promotional avenues is Noisetrade, a music-sharing sight. If you’ve followed my blog at all, you may have read some reviews of music I’ve discovered on that site. The prep work includes making a promotional video and putting together a sampler album from my 3 CDs to give away.
So, if you’ve made it this far, here’s the payoff. Click on the link to see a 3D preview of the CD artwork from Discmakers.